F-1 Visa

The U.S. offers a variety of options for foreign nationals interested in pursuing an academic education or language training program that results in a diploma, degree or certificate. In addition to competitive academic curricula, studying in the U.S. gives international students opportunities to understand and experience culture in the U.S., which contributes to personal growth and development when they return to their home country.

Foreign nationals who want to study in the U.S. may apply for the F-1 visa. Although the J-1 and M-1 visas are sometimes used, most foreign students enter the U.S. in F-1 status. Foreign nationals interested in pursuing the F-1 visa must first enroll in a USCIS approved academic educational program on a full-time basis. The academic institution will then initiate the necessary paperwork to enable a foreign student to obtain an F-1 visa.

F-1 students may also obtain work authorization in the U.S. depending on the length of their academic curriculum. Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 may accompany or join the F-1 student to the U.S. in F-2 dependent status but they are not permitted to work. Children are permitted to attend school (kindergarten to 12th grade). Spouses may take recreational and avocational courses but not full-course studies.

Your Local Immigration Lawyer for North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and the World.

Contact Us for Assistance

[contact-form-7 id=”432″ title=”Contact form 1_copy”]