L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa, commonly referred to as the “intra-company transferee,” allows international companies with an office, subsidiary, or affiliated branch in the U.S. to sponsor its foreign employees to temporarily work in the U.S.

Sponsoring employers must have an established U.S. office, subsidiary, or affiliated branch, or have completed plans to establish one, in order to sponsor an L-1 worker. Sponsoring employers should be prepared to provide documentation demonstrating its financial solvency.

Additionally, to qualify for an L-1 visa, the foreign national must also have worked for the company abroad for at least one full year within the last three years prior to applying, in either an executive or managerial position (L-1A visa) or a position with special knowledge (L-1B visa).

Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 are allowed to accompany or join an L-1 worker in the U.S., in L-2 dependent status. Spouses may seek work authorization from USCIS upon entry in L-2 status by applying for an employment authorization document. Spouses and children may also attend school. Accompanying domestic workers (maids or nannies) may also be eligible for a B-1 visa with work authorization from USCIS.

L-1 visas have increasingly received higher scrutiny from USCIS in the past years. Our office provides up to date developments on changes in federal regulations affecting the L-1 visa category. Please feel free to contact us for current updates and strategies.

Your Local Immigration Lawyer for North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and the World.

Contact Us for Assistance

[contact-form-7 id=”432″ title=”Contact form 1_copy”]